I did a lot of things while in New York to attend the SAVEUR Blog Awards. But at the top of the cool list was hanging out with fellow nominee, Comedian and Writer Marissa A. Ross. (BTW, get out the broom because she swept the wine category, taking home both the Reader’s and Editor’s Choice!)
If you’re not reading her blog, Wine All The Time, you are making me very sad. Please add it to your go-to rotation of all internet things you consume on a regular basis. Marissa’s also hella funny on Twitter and super-cool on Instagram. (I say that not only because of our photo together below. And not only because she had some flattering things to say about me. Though I am not immune to such charms.)
Before heading to the awards dinner, we holed up in her hotel room and crushed an episode of my Wine Without Worry podcast. (Subscribe!)
Summer Wines With Marissa A. Ross
So first, the wines we drank. I brought a very cool Arnot-Roberts Rosé made from an unusual grape, especially for California. Marissa braved Manhattan traffic to procure a Grüner Veltliner from a top Austrian producer. So what happens in this action-packed half hour? Some highlights:
- How to pronounce (or not to pronounce) the grapes and regions of summer wines we love. Why can’t we just love Merlot? (Wait, is it MER-LAHT? Cue anxiety.)
- Red wine in the summertime. Can it be done? (Spoiler alert: Yes. But how? And why? And what?)
- A discussion on Chardonnay and oak. Which descends into recriminations, then regret, and, finally, reconciliation.
- Marissa’s favorite California winery and a Chardonnay (aha!) that turned the tide in regards to her relationship with this grape. (BTW, the wine she’s referring to in the podcast is the Skin Fermented.)
- Where it all began with wine writing, and how she developed her style and approach. Also, what the barriers that keep people from being more gung-ho, gonzo, and garrulous about all things fermented grape juice?
- I read a passage of Marissa’s, which has really excellent advice on how to deal with ordering wine at a restaurant. And doing so like the champ you are. (We believe in you.)
Here’s the show, bleeped swears and all:Tags: marissa a ross, saveur blog awards wine, touriga nacional arnot roberts, wine all the time, Wine Without Worry