One of the many things I love about what I do on the internet, in print, and face-to-face? Answer wine questions! Bring. Them. On.
Sure, I enjoy hobnobbing with my industry pals/geeks and getting really esoteric. But I also delight in fielding queries from people outside of the industry. I dig enthusiastic wine drinkers who really challenge and stretch my knowledge by asking “real-world” questions. (Note to my grape brethren: you are not fake. Your words are valued. I just don’t engage in a lot of talk about malolactic fermentation, etc. with my mom and her pals.)
Speaking of non-wine industry people, one person I count among that group is my girlfriend, Emily. I enjoy talking about wine with her and, even more, drinking it in her company. So I thought, why not for my next Snacky Tunes segment, I turn over the reins to her? Find out what wine questions she has for me?
I didn’t know what I would be quizzed on in advance and, with only five minutes, there was no time to dilly-dally with my answers.
Here’s what she ended up asking me, and I’m going to give you some clues, too:
- What is the weirdest wine you’ve ever had? (Drank it in Grinnell, IA.)
- What is your desert island wine? (Something sparkling.)
- What’s the most interesting grape? (Picked a white.)
- Is there food that does not go with wine? (Yes. It’s sweet and beloved. But I don’t like to be a jerk/killjoy about this stuff.)
- Are there wines you have to learn to like? (Yes. Sort of like learning to like Brussels sprouts.)
Anyway, listen to the show. My segment’s at the 40:19 mark, but please enjoy the whole thing. And subscribe! It’s a great podcast.
Also on this episode:
- Gillian Zettler, Executive Director of the Charleston Wine and Food Festival. (BTW, I went to Charleston for the first time over Christmas and loved it.)
- Fruit & Flowers. Per hosts Darin and Greg: A lady-led post-punk, psych rock quartet that’s one of the hardest-working bands in the Big Apple.
Question mark graffiti photo by artjouer street art via flickr.